Re: Faster start-file-process?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Faster start-file-process?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 18:35:21 +0200

Philipp Stephani <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Philipp,

>> I've committed some improvements to the master branch, commit
>> 76b3bd8cbb9a0a01941d9c1766c054960e4bfd97. You could rerun your test for
>> new timings.
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately I don't see much of an improvement: my approach
> is still 750 times faster in my benchmark.

There are only some evolutionary improvements; the basic scheme is the
same. So we cannot expect wonders.

However, there was an error in tramp-cache.el which I have just fixed,
this might result in some changes. Since Tramp depends on cached
properties, you shall always count the second and following tests of
start-file-process; the first run needs time to fill the cache.

And for better comparision, you shall also set tramp-verbose to 0.

Best regards, Michael.