Re: sshx protocol from MS Windows occasionally cuts off results in M-x r

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: sshx protocol from MS Windows occasionally cuts off results in M-x rgrep
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 18:24:00 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Jim,

>> Interestingly, there's no such problem when using plink, which uses the
>> same command sequence. That lets me think it is an ssh client problem,
>> buffering the output or whatever. But I might be wrong.
>
> Indeed, it's hard to say for sure what's going wrong, since I still
> haven't been able to isolate the bug. I did make a bit of progress
> though. First, I eliminated the need to use `M-x rgrep' on the Tramp
> repository.

Oh, rgrep is as good as something else to test. After you ran it for the
first time, you can place the cursor in the *grep* buffer, and type
again and again 'g' (revert-buffer). This re-invokes the async
process. I have tested it it this way, w/o pain.

> However, I *don't* see this issue when I run `M-x shell-command RET
> python3 test.py RET'. I always see the full output.

This doesn't count. shell-command runs a synchronous process, which is a
completely different story. In order to test it asynchronously, you
must call async-shell-command.

> I'll keep debugging this to see if I can narrow this down further.

Yes, pls. I'm also trying some new tests every single day, but I'm
running out of ideas ... any proposal is welcome!

> - Jim

Best regards, Michael.