Re: Problem saving with privileges

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Problem saving with privileges
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 10:12:04 +0200

Joseph Padgett <josephpadgett@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,

Hi Joseph,

> I posted about this issue on StackExchange and someone suggested
> contacting this email address.

That was me :-)

> The problem I am having occurs when I try to save with privileges.  I
> use sudo within emacs to open dired, and from there I open a file I
> would like to edit.  In this case it is a config file on my Raspberry
> Pi in  (/boot/config.txt).  I've tried other files and met with the
> same problem though.  I've done this numerous times over the past
> several months since I started using Emacs without issue.  Then the
> problem began to occur a week or two ago.  I can't think of anything
> that I change as far as configurations, versions, packages, .init.el,
> etc.  So not sure why the sudden onset of the problem.
>
> At any rate, once I go to save the file after I have made my edits, I
> get a message that says
>
> "Copying directly failed, see buffer 'tramp/sudo root@HOST' for
> details"

According to the traces, the following command has failed:

> 14:08:30.692841 tramp-send-command (6) # cp -f -p /tmp/tramp.BYNKsB.txt
> /boot/config.txt 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $?
> 14:08:30.699549 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) #
> tramp_exit_status 1
> ///61a702f61196b13e60aff1a64131181e#$

stderr has redirected, so we don't know the error message. Perhaps we
can try to see what's up by:

# As your local user, create a test file
echo foo >/tmp/tramp.BYNKsB.txt
# Show its permissions
ls -l /tmp/tramp.BYNKsB.txt

# As root user, mimic Tramp's action
sudo /bin/sh -i
# Save the file in question
cp -p /boot/config.txt /boot/config.txt.sv
# Apply Tramp's command
cp -f -p /tmp/tramp.BYNKsB.txt /boot/config.txt; echo tramp_exit_status $?
# Restore the file
mv /boot/config.txt.sv /boot/config.txt

And pls show the output of these commands.

Best regards, Michael.