Re: tramp path-munging breaks remote compilation

From: Kevin Broadey
Subject: Re: tramp path-munging breaks remote compilation
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 20:06:11 +0100

I can understand tramp wanting control of the path for remote file operations.
I agree with that. But when tramp chooses to inveigle itself into running
“make” remotely, then surely it knows it isn’t trying to do a remote file
operation and ought to do something differently to support the remote USER
COMMAND EXECUTION operation instead. Such as not hose the path that the use has
carefully set up.

--
Kevin
from my iPhone

On 27 May 2021, at 13:11, Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

Kevin Broadey <kevin.broadey@me.com> writes:

Hi Kevin,

> Yep, I googled ‘tramp-own-remote-path’ and found the bit in the massive
> manual about how to change this behaviour. Thanks for the tip.

Why searching the web? 'C-h i g (tramp) RET' gives you the Tramp manual.

> But why should I have to go searching to get tramp to do something
> that ought to be the default behaviour?  It fails miserably against
> the design principle of “don’t do anything unexpected”, and totally
> rewriting my remote path for tramp’s own convenience is highly
> unexpected.

Tramp's primary audience are remote file operations. This requires
proper tools on the remote side. We have seen too many error reports,
caused by improper tools at non-standard locations. That's why Tramp is
restrict in default PATH settings.

Best regards, Michael.