Re: SSH connection failed to connect in eshell

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: SSH connection failed to connect in eshell
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 15:51:00 +0100

Reza Housseini <reza.housseini@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Reza,

> Thanks Michael for the analysis. I used this .ssh/config because tramp
> always prompted for the password on a public key connection. I just
> saw in the manual that one can force the connection to persist:
>
>     (customize-set-variable
>      'tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options
>      (concat
>        "-o ControlPath=/tmp/ssh-ControlPath-%%r@%%h:%%p "
>        "-o ControlMaster=auto -o ControlPersist=yes"))

That might work. However, the more important point is to set
tramp-use-ssh-controlmaster-options to t. Then, Tramp uses
ControlMaster, either with the string predefined in
tramp-ssh-controlmaster-options, or with self-determined options.

> would this be the appropriate setting for a gpg key? Is there any
> recommended way to use a gpg key with tramp? I don't think that my gpg
> key on the token isn't found, because the initial session always works
> without problems and also in the bash shell there is no issue using my
> gpg key as ssh key replacement.

Yes, for the *first* connection it has worked. The problem appeared with
the *second* connection.

> Thanks again for your useful insights!

Best regards, Michael.

> Cheers,