Re: Problem with Tramp 2.5.2 (with emacs 28.1) when talking to Solaris

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Problem with Tramp 2.5.2 (with emacs 28.1) when talking to Solaris
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 07:49:25 +0200

Simon Matthews <spm@flirble.org> writes:

Hi Simon,

> When attempting to browse directories on a Solaris remote host only the
> home directory is shown.
>
> This is due to passing the -w flag to ls:
> /usr/xpg4/bin/ls --color=never -al -w /home/spm/some/dir/. 2>/dev/null
>
> The Solaris variants of ls do support "-w" but it expects a parameter:
>        -w cols
>        --width cols
>
>            Multi-column output where the column width is forced to cols.
>
> It looks like this flag is the same no matter which variant of ls is used
> (/usr/bin/ls, /usr/xpg4/bin/ls, /usr/xpg6/bin/ls).

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately, I cannot test on Solaris myself.

Before applying "ls -al -w", Tramp checks whether there is an error with
these arguments. So I would like to see what happens there.

Could you, pls, start "emacs -Q --eval '(setq tramp-verbose 6)'" and
open the remote connection? Play a little bit, opening other
directories. When it fails, pls send the complete debug buffer (as
attachment).

> Simon

Best regards, Michael.