Re: Support for 'pipe process-connection-type

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Support for 'pipe process-connection-type
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 17:39:56 +0100

Jürgen Hötzel <juergen@hoetzel.info> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Juergen,

>> If a remote process, started by start-file-process, should not use a
>> pseudo tty, this can be requested by setting process-connection-type to
>> nil or pipe. There is still a pseudo tty for the started process, but
>> some terminal properties are changed, like suppressing translation of
>> carriage return characters into newline.
>
> Several LSP servers show erratic input-processing when running under a real
> terminal. For example:
>
> https://github.com/fsharp/emacs-fsharp-mode/issues/324 (Fails under
> TRAMP #324)
>
> Would it be possible to provide "native pipe processes" if the Tramp method
> supports this?
>
> OpenSSH can disable PTY allocation using this ssh(1) flag:
>
>      -T      Disable pseudo-terminal allocation.

We have direct async processes, which are closed to this approach. They
do not enter an interactive shell on the remote host, calling the
command from there. Instead, they call the command directly, like "ssh -l
user host command ...". Those direct async processes could use the ssh
-T argument when they are pipe processes, indeed.

Note, that such processes have other limitations, see
(info "(tramp)Improving performance of asynchronous remote processes")

> Jürgen

Best regards, Michael.