Re: tramp (2.7.0-pre master/4b3ccf3092eaf5573b0f4968ee9a4515d04fd061); "

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: tramp (2.7.0-pre master/4b3ccf3092eaf5573b0f4968ee9a4515d04fd061); "You should set ‘tramp-chunksize’ to a maximum of 200" macos monterey emacs 29 built from src
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 11:55:34 +0200

roadie <roadie@lavabit.com> writes:

Hi,

> the help buffer for tramp-chunksize told me to send a bug report if the
> var has to be set at all. I ran the test and the result was:
> "You should set ‘tramp-chunksize’ to a maximum of 200"

Thanks for your report. The question is, whether it is needed in your
case. Are you able to connect remote hoste via Tramp, w/o setting
tramp-chunksize?

Sometimes, Emacs seems to be able to fix it itself. See the comment in
tramp-sh.el:

    ;; Check whether the remote host suffers from buggy
    ;; `send-process-string'.  This is known for FreeBSD (see comment
    ;; in `send_process', file process.c).  I've tested sending 624
    ;; bytes successfully, sending 625 bytes failed.  Emacs makes a
    ;; hack when this host type is detected locally.  It cannot handle
    ;; remote hosts, though.

> thank you for tramp and have a lovely day
> roadie

Best regards, Michael.