tsp-devel

Re: [Tsp-devel] making bb_tools more verbose

From: Eric NOULARD
Subject: Re: [Tsp-devel] making bb_tools more verbose
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 19:19:46 +0200

Le Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:16:33 +0200,
Frederik Deweerdt <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I've recently propagated the bb_* return codes from the blackboard to
> the bb_tools shell util. Do you mind if I make the utility more
> verbose when errors occur, or do some of you rely on it being quiet?

There is two 'global' bb_tools options that may be used to control
verbosity:

Usage: bb_tools [bb_tools_opts] <bb_tools_cmd> [cmd_opts]
   bb_tools_opts:
    -s silent mode (may be used for silent scripting)
    -v verbose mode
    -n no newline read mode

So that I would say that the "no option" case may be more verbose for
ERROR case, since if someone wants to use a "silent" bb_tools then
s/he should use '-s'.

Thus my opinion is:

-s mode should really remain silent :=)

default (no option) mode may be automatically verbose for error case

-v mode should print as many information as one wants
  (was used for debugging address issue)

Sidenote:
    the -n no newline mode is handy for coding some
    A=`bb_tools -n bb_read bb_simu bb_simu_1_Titi`
    and avoiding the trailing '\n'.

    I would say that "ERROR" should be the outputed value in case or
ERROR in read 'no newline' mode.