ulog-acctd-devel

[Ulog-acctd-devel] automation of log file processing

From: wolfgang . oertl
Subject: [Ulog-acctd-devel] automation of log file processing
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:38:12 -0600

Hello!

I have ulog-acctd running and producing its account.log.  A Perl
script reads this and keeps the per-day log summaries (one file
per day) up to date.  I could run this script continuously and
have it poll the log file every few minutes, but I'd like
ulog-acctd notify or start the program whenever it writes its
log.

Looking at the source code nothing like that seems implemented.
I now want to add something like this:

A configuration setting specifies a file.  After writing the log,
and if this file exists, it is read, the contents is interpreted
as a PID, and the signal USR1 is sent there.  My script would
just wait until this signal arrives and then do its thing.

Another option would be to specify an executable in the config
file, which is run after writing the log. This might be a better
solution (easier to use), but also sound more problematic
security-wise.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,
Wolfgang Oertl