uracoli-devel

[uracoli-devel] proposed change of the directory structure

From: Axel Wachtler
Subject: [uracoli-devel] proposed change of the directory structure
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:57:13 +0200

Hi folks,

Daniel came up last week with a proposal about simplifying the directrory structure.

Currently the repository looks so:

uracoli (hg root)
|-- uracoli
|   |-- Contrib
|   |-- Doc
|   |-- Src
|   |-- Templates
|   `-- Tools
`-- uracoli-appnotes
    |-- linuxtag2011
    |-- linuxtag2012
    |-- pydude
    |-- rfarduino
    |-- SensorNWK
    `-- sniffer

What we could do is, to move everything up one level:

uracoli (hg root)
|-- Contrib
|-- Doc
|-- Src
|-- Templates
|-- Tools
`-- Appnotes
    |-- linuxtag2011
    |-- linuxtag2012
    |-- pydude
    |-- rfarduino
    |-- SensorNWK
    `-- sniffer

The old structure was created with CVS modules, so you could selectively
choose one module (mainly uracoli) for check out. But with hg there is no module concept any more and you have to draw the whole repository anyway (hg clone).

This change implies, that we have to *stop* all current side branches and moving relevant changes to "default". After the directory change
we can start with new branches.

(Plan B would be: if there is a branch which is it worth to be kept, we can leave for that one the old structure, but I'm not shure,
how this will go with future merges from/to that branch)

Here is a list of all current branches:

default
 - this is the mainline
SensorNWK
 - active development ongoing
 - maintained by Daniel
rel_v0.2
 - maintenance branch for 0.2.x packages, can be stopped,
   if 0.3.x release comes
 - maintained by Axel, is obsolete
xxo_display
 - tic tac toe blinken lights trial, can be merged to
   mainline and then stopped
 - Daniel, Axel
jw_debug_antenna
jw_fabian_game
jw_debug
jw_debug_keys
 - various debug branches created by Joerg,
 - we need to pick up the relevant pieces
rakete
 - created in February 2012, nothing checked in
   can be stopped.

Everybody, please send your comments, warnings and
other solutions on that proposal.

Axel