Linking and a gplc-config

From: Wolfgang Mueller
Subject: Linking and a gplc-config
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:16:30 +0100 (CET)

Hi, all,
Dear Jose, Dietmar,
Ages ago, I had a quite similar problem. I got to a quite similar
solution. What I would like to repeat here, is that IMHO there is a
real "market" for doing something else than passing flags through
gplc.
If you happen to have GUILE (a scheme dialect with regular expressions
etc., intended to be GNUs Perl replacement or competitor) on your
system, or perl, then you will see that both of these languages
provide means to find out the flags that you need, if you want to link
them with c(++) programs. For GUILE this is guile-config.

So, if you have a program this-uses-guile.cc which you want to link to
libguile, you just use

g++ this-uses-guile.cc `guile-config`

...and this is all you have to do.
This "piping commands through to g++ via gplc"-business also works,
and it's nice. However, I suppose it will give you nightmares if you
want to do things with automake etc. . In general, a mechanism like
guile-config will speed up makefile generation and interweaving of
GNU-Prolog with other tools.

For this reason, I think it would be really useful for GProlog to have
that.

Unfortunately, I do not have the resources to do this on top of my
other maintaining work (and we probably won't use GNU-Prolog in the
GIFT in the near future). Would it be possible to post some pointers to
this list, on how to do a gnuprolog-config which does what I
described? Maybe then we could find somebody who sacrifices a bit of
his time to do something very useful for himself and others, thus
increasing the possibility of reuse of GNU-Prolog in other GNU
projects?

Wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Müller,
assistant-doctorant ==  PhD student (2001), teaching assistant