Building on win32 platform

From: Gerald W. Shapiro
Subject: Building on win32 platform
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 11:20:43 -0400 (EDT)

Background: I was able to build 1.2.1 ootb with no problems under the
cygwin environment. However, the resulting prolog executables do not play
nicely with the Win95 OS. I regularly have my prolog programs, using fd
constraints, appearing to write into memory used by other
applications. After I run the program, other win95 apps report errors, and
I have to re-boot.

I never get stack overflow messages, and when I try to specify heap sizes,
the resulting programs do not work at all. (computer goes into the land
where prompts never re-appear)

My question now: I decided to try and build using the -mno-cygwin option,
as it creates executables that rely only on windows native routines. I
hope that this will eliminate some problems. (I do not have MSVC++.)

There are some minor problems with win32 and cygwin path translations, but
these are easily solved.  But what I wonder about... I ./configure and
make under cygwin bash. bash sets a number of environment variables such
as OSTYPE and MACHTYPE to cygwin . THen in machine.c conditional includes
look for cygwin stuff, but I think I should be trying to get the win32
stuff.

Should I configure outside of bash, and then make inside? What environment
variables need to be set fro configure to know it is under a win32
environment (what environment does MSVC intialization batch set?)

ANyone with any advice here, I will be quite grateful.

Gerald