Re: GNU Prolog FAQ

From: Daniel Diaz
Subject: Re: GNU Prolog FAQ
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:30:29 +0100

Christian wrote:

>         - buildung and installling
>         - implementation limits and workarounds

Yes this kind of information is perfect

> the mail archive is a good starting-point i thought so too, and a gprolog faq
> will be a ongoing work
> it will surely growing and mature over time. I would like to make it gprolog
> centric and don't cover the
> Prolog-Language in detail except for some links. A FAQ is not a tutorial and
> there are excellent Prolog
> resources on the net. It should only address Problems which pepole frequently
> experience in using gnu-prolog.

<remark>
Christian, your mail editor does not seem to cut long lines. For instance my
netscape mail reader
see the above text in a single line. It is then difficult to read (and not
practical to answer
since the '> ' cite prefix is not added to each line, I have done the above '>
' by hands. I can ask
my email reader to wrap incoming plain text but maybe you could turn on a "wrap
outgoing plain text"
option (if your mailer has it).
</remark>

You are right, even if a good tutorial for GNU Prolog would be welcome it is
definitely another
topic.

> i'm curious about the gnu-prolog entry in gnu-savannah?

I experienced just gnu-savannah, I dont (yet ?) use it. I dont see any
advantage to use it instead
of sourceforge for the moment...

> Some things:
> - I will wait a few days for more suggestions/discussion until i start a
> initial FAQ (expect it end of the week)
>
> - Should it be plain HTML? I would suggest to use Lyx, it's easy to use,
> free, available for windows
> too and u can generate serveral output-format's (ok, not nesseary needed) but
> at least it makes it simple
> to focus on the content while getting an excellent output, not on the
> html-code.

Can I suggest you to look at LaTeX + HeVeA combo ? I use LaTeX for the GNU
Prolog documentation and
I convert it to HTML using HeVeA. HeVeA is a fast and powerful translator from
LaTeX to HTML. For
more information:
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~maranget/hevea/
HeVeA can also output plain text or info formats. It is easy to customize the
translation (for
instance a link can be translated as a footnote in LaTeX and as a HTML link in
the html,...)

This is only a suggestion :-) We really need:
   - a web page (or several)
   - a (way to obtain a) plain text file.

> - who else wants to help? raise ur hands please :)
>
> cya Christian

Thanks !

--
Daniel Diaz   address@hidden