Re: DCG and stack problems

From: Vic Bancroft
Subject: Re: DCG and stack problems
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:07:13 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Johannes Middeke wrote:

> Is there any suitable way to process greater amounts of data? Or are there
> any modules for reading and parsing XML-data that don't use recursion?

You should try a repeat / fail loop.  Prolog programs can reclaim
variables on backtracking.  It might be a little dirty from a logical
perspective, but the pragmatic results will please you.  Here is an
example from a program intended to read the users-prolog.mbox

  http://www.ai.uga.edu/~bancroft/pub/gplfaq/faq_parse.pl

It's memory footprint grows in proportion to the asserted data.  Are you
building a DOM style structure in memory as a result of the parse ?

Perhaps we could create an XML directory under the ExamplesPl . . .

An alternative would be to do some wrappers for an xml library in c or
c++, like Xerces [1] or expat [2].

more,
l8r,

katabatic cohabitation :  to live together as if a married couple or in
company;
to exist together, relating as or being like a wind produced by the flow of
cold
dense air down a slope (as of a mountain or glacier) in an area subject to
radiational cooling.   mailto:address@hidden  http://america.net/~bancroft

[1] http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/