stand alone apps without cygwin dll

From: Jasper Taylor
Subject: stand alone apps without cygwin dll
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:12:12 +0100

Hi folks. I need to make a stand alone executable from some Prolog code, which
will run under Windows without needing the cygwin1.dll present.

To this end I rebuilt my gprolog version 1.2.14 using the cygwin environment
but with the msvc++ 6.0 compiler. It was quite hard because the script
provided by Microsoft to set the environment variables for msvc++ didn't seem
to work in the cygwin environment.

I was then able to make small standalone executables which went OK without
cygwin1.dll but I could not make one for my application -- the resulting .exe
is about 2MB and crashes when starting up, with either a segmentation
violation or a memory allocation error.

As I don't want to use msvc++ anyway I thought I'd try another method -- put
the mingw version of gcc in the path ahead of the cygwin version. This builds
targets without cygwin libraries by default. But this seems to need some
changes to switches in the makefile. So...

* Has anyone already tried this?
* Did it work? Even gplc?
* Should I have a hack at the configure.in file to see if I can add an option
of --with-mingw which will do some of the setup changes that --with-msvc
does?
* Any explanations for my crashes?
* Finally would it be easier, or harder, to keep to the cygwin gcc version but
use the -mno-cygwin switch with it?
Thanks
        --Jasper