Re: consult/1 overrides dynamic predicate declarations?

From: Lindsey Spratt
Subject: Re: consult/1 overrides dynamic predicate declarations?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:47:06 -0500

On Sunday, October 20, 2002, at 08:21  AM, Erick Alphonse wrote:

Hello,

I need to read a user-supplied file, where he defines all the settings needed to run some experiments. These settings are provided as facts and I would like the user to be able to modify them later. So I define them as dynamic before loading the user's file. But consult declares them as static, overriding the dynamic declaration. Is it the intended behaviour? Eclipse and swi-prolog don't do that.

According to the standard:
"If P is defined to be a dynamic procedure in one Prolog test, then a directive dynamic(PI) indicating P will occur in every Prolog text which contains clauses for P."
("Prolog: The Standard", 1996, p. 218)

So, I think gprolog is just following the standard. You need to put ':- dynamic(P).' in each of the files that defines P.

Cheers,
Lindsey Spratt
http://homepage.mac.com/lspratt