Binding a variable to the "output" of a predicate

From: Andy Schmidgall
Subject: Binding a variable to the "output" of a predicate
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 23:42:56 -0500

Hello,

I'm attempting to translate some prolog code fragments from a different
version of prolog into gprolog, and I was wondering if it's possible to bind
a variable to the "output" of a predicate. I suppose it would be like
redirecting the output to a variable rather than standard out.

For example, say there's a predicate like this:

write_output(X):-
  write(X).

Normally, this would write to the screen, but I'm wondering if there's a way
to get the results into a variable. The code fragment I'm translating from
used a construct like this:

write_output(X) ~> Y

(The operator is tilde-greater-than)

Thank you,
Andy

"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you
that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery
with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:27-28