GNU Prolog Win32 port

From: Cesar Rabak
Subject: GNU Prolog Win32 port
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 17:23:42 -0200

I found arousing the proposal of GNU Prolog of being able to compile prolog sources w/o a C compiler and installed in a Win XP machine the 1.2.16 version (installer: setup-gprolog-1.2.16.exe).

The first thing I noticed is that it requires NASM to assemble the assembly files, which is not nor included nor mentioned in the documentationĀ¹.

Installed the Netwide Assembler, the compilation failed due a lacking of the cl.exe (MSVC command line compiler!). . .

I _understood_ that it is being used only as a *linker* and not as the full blown C/C++ compiler, but, unfortunately it is not easy to come by a freeĀ² version of it. I have been told that a .NET toolkit comes with working version of it, but you have to download as well the Win32 SDK which can easily bring the download to more than 200 Megs.

Also, for the users that have access to a MSVC++ installation, it would be interesting to point out that the Makefile in the ExamplesC would need to be rewritten, as the CFLAGS options do not work for the Microsoft compiler (that in this port it call by default).

I hope this short report is helpful.

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

[1] That I could find!
[2] at least as free beer in the GNU sense.