Re: GNU Prolog Project

From: Daniel Diaz
Subject: Re: GNU Prolog Project
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:07:14 +0200

Dear Roberto,

I'm sorry you are disappointed by GNU Prolog. It is true that I cannot devote as much time as I'd like to GNU Prolog. Since many years I have a lot of other duties together with some personal constraints which seriously limit the amount of "free time" I can devote to GNU Prolog. I'm the first to regret this situation.

However, saying GNU Prolog is unmaintained, is clearly exaggerated. I have released a stable version in January fixing several bugs and including new ports. I collect all bug reports and, when I have enough time, I fix some of them and release a version. But I mainly spend the little time that I have to design the next version (V2). This version will be a big step forward but will need deep code rewritings. Thus I try to set up a stable development team (4 developers would be nice) for this new version.

Again, I'm sorry GNU Prolog no longer satisfies you but this does not justify the aggressiveness of your post. I develop and maintain GNU Prolog for free as an open source product expecting it helps some users. It clearly not your case, I thus suggest you to use other "better, maintained, supported systems", "some of them may be what you are looking for" (sic).

Sincerely.

Roberto Bagnara a écrit :
address@hidden wrote:
I was looking for something that congregates GNU and Prolog, and now I found.
I am Prolog programmer too, and Im soooo interested in the project, so,
if you have something I can enter or participate, or just enter the community, I
would like, Im very very interested in GNU Prolog.

Good news!  If you look in the mailing list archives you will find several
bug reports to which the official maintainer did not even bother to reply.
I suggest you pick some of them and try to fix them. Feel free to contact me
if you need clarifications and/or the indication of further bugs.

However, perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "[congregating] GNU
and Prolog".  GNU Prolog has "GNU" in the name and this is a pity because,
due to this, an essentially unmaintained system draws a lot of attention
to the detriment of better, maintained, supported systems.  Several of
the systems I am talking about are released under the GNU licenses: despite
not having "GNU" in their name, I think some of them may be what you
are looking for.
All the best,

    Roberto