Re: License questions

From: Daniel Savard
Subject: Re: License questions
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:21:54 -0400

2010/7/12 Alexander Wolfe <address@hidden>:
> I have a couple of questions about the use of gprolog compiled programs. I
> understand that gprolog is GPL software and that any modified version of its
> codebase would be required to be released under a GPL compatible license.
> What about programs compiled with gprolog? I know that gcc does not restrict
> compiled programs to the GPL. What is the case here?

The answer is obvious, same license same terms. A license cannot
pretend to acquire rights on the original work of others. The idea of
a license is to protect something and in this case, the GNU-Prolog
compiler.

I know there is some copyrights and intellectual property lawyers
which are dessiminating the idea the GPL license extend to everything
developped using OSS. But they are wrong. There is plenty of examples
they are.

BTW, I am not a lawyer, so, if this is a very sensitive question for
you, ask one or more than one, but pick a good one.

Regards,
--
Daniel Savard