encoding of atoms

From: Michael Hauptmann
Subject: encoding of atoms
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 23:25:24 +0200

Can an atom only consist of ASCII characters? I noticed that ä and 'ä' are ignored by the interactive environment and by file consulting.

I would prefer my native tongue for programming and for interacting with the user. Therefore I would be grateful if someone could answer my question.

Best Regard,
M. Hauptmann.