Re: Labeling outside of fd_labeling?

From: Daniel Diaz
Subject: Re: Labeling outside of fd_labeling?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 20:53:13 +0200

Le 18 juin 2012 à 18:46, Jan Burse a écrit :

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thank you very much for your explanation. BTW: found
> another "looping" example:
>
>   | ?- X + 1 #= Y, Y + 1 #= Z, Z #< X.
>   (4555 ms) no
>
> So basically, when one for example formulates
> scheduling problems etc.., one has to be careful
> with inconsistent problems?

Generally speaking, the answer is yes since an inconsistency problem implies a
whole exploration of the search space. In some cases this can be very fast (if
the pruning is efficient), in others it can be very expensive. It is the case
in your examples: the domain of implied variables are reduced by 1 value at
each step of the propagation resulting in a costly exploration (linear in the
size of the domain).

Daniel