Compiling the PRESS program

From: Gustra
Subject: Compiling the PRESS program
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 04:50:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am looking for a symbolic equation solver and I am trying to compile the
PRESS program (PRolog Equation Solving System) written by Leon Sterling et
al. I have downloaded the source from
http://dream.inf.ed.ac.uk/software/press/ and thought I'd have a go at it.
My Prolog is very rusty (about 15 years :-), so this will almost be like
starting from scratch...

According to the PRESS README, it seems the program is compiled into an
executable form using a compile() directive, but gprolog doesn't make it
that far. I promptly ran into errors at the very beginning:

/tmp/press-src/pressdir/pressjunk$ cat pload
[filin].
ss.
halt.
/tmp/press-src/pressdir/pressjunk$ prolog < pload
GNU Prolog 1.3.0
By Daniel Diaz
Copyright (C) 1999-2007 Daniel Diaz
compiling /tmp/press-src/pressdir/pressjunk/filin.pl for byte code...
/tmp/press-src/pressdir/pressjunk/filin.pl:9: warning: unknown directive
asserta/1 - maybe use initialization/1 - directive ignored
<...and so on for every asserta>

and the offending lines look like this:

 9 :- asserta(library_directory('/tmp/press-src/util')).

What troubles me is that the asserta/1 clause is listed in the gprolog
manual as built-in, so what do I need to do to make it available?

There are other errors reported by gprolog (eg syntax errors), but I will
attack them one at a time.

If it so happens that somebody is aware of a gprolog (or swi-prolog for
matter) working implementation of PRESS, then I would be delighted to
abandon this endeavour :-).

BR
Gunnar