Re: GNU Prolog 1.4.2 is released

From: Paulo Moura
Subject: Re: GNU Prolog 1.4.2 is released
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:37:04 +0000

Hi Fernando,

On 13/12/2012, at 09:30, Fernando Sáenz Pérez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
> As the manual says:
> "The GNU Prolog compiler (section 4.4, page 23) automatically calls expand
> term/2 on each Term1
> read in. However, in the current release, only DCG transformation are done by
> the compiler (i.e.
> term expansion/2 cannot be used)."
> Do you have plans to be able to surpass this behavior so that one can use
> term_expansion on '-->', overriding the built-in expansion?

I cannot speak for Daniel's plans for GNU Prolog :-) But Logtalk supports a
fully portable term- and goal-expansion mechanism. The corresponding hook
predicates can be source-file specific, defined by default for all source files
(if no source file specific expansion applies), or be Prolog dialect specific
(in no source file specific or default expansion applies). The source files can
contain both Prolog and/or Logtalk code. The expansion mechanisms also supports
expansion of annotated terms (as you find e.g. on B-Prolog action rules,
ProbLog probabilistic clauses, or CHR constraints).

Cheers,

Paulo