Re: Some advice on a "simple" thing...

From: Lindsey Spratt
Subject: Re: Some advice on a "simple" thing...
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 15:17:54 -0400

One of the cool things about Edinborough syntax Prolog is the use of 'operators' - they are just syntactic sugar for function terms. (Cambridge syntax prolog looks like Lisp - I don't think any implementations still exist that use this syntax.)
foo(a - b, c + d, e = f) is semantically equivalent to
foo(-(a, b), +(c, d), =(e,f))
'-(a,b)' does not have a particular interpretation in Prolog, it's meaning is determined (in this case) by what 'foo' does with it and what other clauses referencing 'foo' do with it.

Even the 'neck' operator and 'and' operators of clauses are just syntactic sugar:

foo(X) :- bar(X), baz(X).
is equivalent to
:-(foo(X), ,(bar(X), baz(X))).

(This shows the unfortunate overloading of the comma token as both an operator used for 'and' in clauses and as a term separator.)

This is how arithmetic operations are defined using the 'is' builtin. The 'is' builtin gets a nested function term that uses functors that it interprets as arithmetic operations:
X is 3 + 4 *  2 * 7.
is the same as
X is +(3, *(4, *(2, 7))).
The 'is' builtin applies common arithmetic processing to this nested structure to unify a numeric value 59 with X.

Outside of 'is' and some special comparison builtins, the functors that look like arithmetic operators have no particular semantics:
Y = 3 + 4 * 2 * 7,
(Z + W) = Y.
binds Z to '3' and W to '4 * 2 * 7'. There is no arithmetic processing done in this case.

Programmers are free to use whatever operator makes sense in the context of a particular program to identify pairs of values.

And if none of the pre-defined operators ('-', '+', '=', etc) are appropriate, you can always define your own:
:- op(&=&>, xfy, 500).
:- op(<++, yfx, 250).
for
foo(a &=&> b, c <++ d, e = f).
is the same as

This is great fun for designing domain-specific languages in Prolog.

Lindsey Spratt