Re: uncaught exception

From: Csányi Pál
Subject: Re: uncaught exception
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 12:05:43 +0200

Hello Sean,

>> uncaught exception: error(syntax_error('user_input:2 (char:11) , | ]
>> or operator expected in list'),read_term/3)
>> | ?-
>>
>> The Tutorial0.pro was edited in Emacs and has the following contents:
>> <file>
>> likes(mary,food).
>> likes(mary,wine).
>> likes(john,wine).
>> likes(john,mary).
>>
>> </file>
>>
>> So what is the problem, why can't I consult this file into gprolog?

>> | ?- [Tutorial0.pro].
>
> Normally you don't need to put the file extension on at all and `consult`
> expects an atom so at the very least the above line maybe ought to look like:
>
> ?- ['Tutorial0].

> Apart from that I can't see anything else wrong with the information you
> gave... see how the above works out.

Yes, indeed:

| ?- ['Tutorial0'].
compiling /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/Tutorial0.pro for byte code...
/home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/Tutorial0.pro compiled, 4 lines read - 540
bytes written, 10 ms

yes
| ?- ['Tutorial0.pro'].
compiling /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/Tutorial0.pro for byte code...
/home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/Tutorial0.pro compiled, 4 lines read - 540
bytes written, 12 ms

yes
| ?-

So my mistake was that that I don't put the file name between '
characters, like: 'Tutorial0'

> The page on consulting:
>
>     http://www.gprolog.org/manual/gprolog.html#sec10

When I follow this abowe, it hangs forever:

| ?- [user].
compiling user for byte code...

Why it hangs forever?

--