varnamproject-discuss

Re: [Varnamproject-discuss] Improving Varnam Learning

From: Kevin Martin
Subject: Re: [Varnamproject-discuss] Improving Varnam Learning
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 00:12:44 +0530

I went through the vst_tokenize() function. To my disappointment, understanding it was not as easy as I thought. I wrestled for a few hours with code and decided that I need to assimilate a few key concepts before I can understand what vst_tokenize does.

1. What is a vpool? Why is it needed? I read its definition but I do not understand its purpose or how it is used. Is it a pool of free varrays?
   To be more specific, I would like to know the purpose of elements like v_->strings_pool. What does the function get_pooled_string()
   return?

2.What is a vcache_entry? What is the purpose of the strbuf 'cache_key' in vst_tokenize()? What are the contents of a vcache?

3. What is the purpose of int tokenize_using and int match_type, the parameters of vst_tokenize()?

4. Assume that a malayalam stemmer ml_stemmer() has been implemented. Will it replace vst_tokenize() or will the line :

                          base=ml_stemmer(input)

    be inside the vst_tokenize() function? The answer to this question must be pretty straight forward but I cannot see it since I do not
    understand vst_tokenize() yet.