varnamproject-discuss

Re: [Varnamproject-discuss] Python bindings for libvarnam

From: Navaneeth K N
Subject: Re: [Varnamproject-discuss] Python bindings for libvarnam
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:37:26 +0530

Hello Sebin,

I think the problem is creating python string from a general pointer reference.
So in that case, python won’t have any idea about the encoding used and it may
be converting the bytes to some default encoding which it uses. `libvarnam`
gives you a char* which is UTF-8 encoded. To solve this, when you create Python
strings from the result varnam gives, you need to somehow force the encoding to
be UTF-8. I am not a python expert, so not sure the python way of doing this.
Take a look at how it is done in Ruby[1].

Thanks for working on the python port.

[1]: https://github.com/varnamproject/libvarnam/blob/master/varnamc#L868

---
Navaneeth