varnamproject-discuss

[Varnamproject-discuss] Inscript learning

From: Kevin Martin
Subject: [Varnamproject-discuss] Inscript learning
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 23:44:15 +0530

Hi,

Made a work around for making inscript learn chills and made a PR[1].

The word corpus hosted at savannah seems to have been deleted. So I could not test it properly. Since my laptop is still at the service centre, I do not have a word corpus on my local disk at the computer I'm working on now. Could not test with varnamc --learn-from-file. It would be great if someone could test it. Inscript is learning the words I'm supplying through IBUS.

More on why inscript is not learning chills :  The problem is that libvarnam converts everything to atomic chills. But the newly created atomic chill is treated as a token. For example "ൻ" in a word is treated as a token with pattern "ൻ" and value1 "ൻ". However, the token "ൻ" does not exist in the table "symbols" in /usr/local/share/varnam/vst/ml-inscript.vst. This results in libvarnam somehow creating the token "ൻ" and assigning it the type VARNAM_TOKEN_OTHER, and this results in varnam not learning the corresponding word.

The simplest work around was to add the chills to the consonants list in the scheme file so that they do exist in the symbol table when varnam tries to look it up.

I will look into this and think about a less dirty fix to learning when I get access to a computer again.

[1] https://github.com/varnamproject/libvarnam/pull/102

regards,

Kevin Martin Jose