varnamproject-discuss

Re: [Varnamproject-discuss] Can't get libvarnam-ibus to work

From: Navaneeth K N
Subject: Re: [Varnamproject-discuss] Can't get libvarnam-ibus to work
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:46:28 +0530

On 18/03/16 8:59 PM, Kevin Martin wrote:
> cloned the repo and ran varnamd with root privileges. No change.
>
> I have the following running:
>
> 1. ibus-daemon
> 2. ibus-engine -l ml -n varnam (not sure if "varnam" as the engine name
> is a correct parameter. Had this command running in the terminal)
> 3. sudo varnam-sync -l ml. Forgot what this does. Ran it anyways.
>
> varnamd is in path and is also in visudo.
>
> I followed the instructions I had wrote down here:
> https://github.com/lonesword/varnam-docs
>

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Navaneeth K N <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 17/03/16 1:15 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > Did anyone try and install libvarnam and varnam-ibus recently? I could
>     > not get ibus to print malyalam. libvarnam installed fine, varnamc
>     -t is
>     > transliterating. However, selecting the 'varnam' option under
>     malayalam
>     > still prints english text. Ibus itself is working because I can
>     type in
>     > Arabic.
>     >
>     > Running KDE plasma 5.5.3.
>     >
>     > @Navaneeth, Is there a way to debug /print logs of the running Ibus
>     > process?

Kevin,

Sorry for the delay. Too much work piled up.

You can try to start the ibus-varnam process manually from the source
directory. So messages will be printed on to the STDOUT. Please kill the
existing ibus-varnam executable before doing so.

You can also look at the logs
(https://github.com/varnamproject/libvarnam-ibus/blob/master/common/engine-util.c#L33).
I think it gets generated inside ~/.local/config/ibus-varnam.

How are you placed in terms of your availability? Will you be able to
contribute to ibus engine and make it in a releasable shape? I can guide
you. And Balu is willing to package it for Debian. Let me know if you
are available.

--
Thanks,
Navaneeth