viewmail-info

Re: Thank goodness for VM!

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: Thank goodness for VM!
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 20:13:25 -0500

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Barrett <dbarrett@blazemonger.com> writes:

Daniel> I just want to express my appreciation for VM and Uday and all the
Daniel> people who have worked on it.

Daniel> Yesterday I had the "privilege" to work with two of the most
Daniel> popular email client programs in the world. Using client "A",
Daniel> I tried to move 30,000 messages from one IMAP folder to
Daniel> another. The process simply fails, silently, without moving
Daniel> any messages.

Please don't be afraid to shame mail clients, please *name* these
clients.

But I do have to say that I find mutt faster for reading large
mailboxes (ok skimming lkml from time to time) vs using VM.  But I do
use VM for all my other email.

Except $WORK, o365 client sucks, web or dedicated interface.

Daniel> I tried the same operation with client B. It executed the
Daniel> operation (taking 8+ hours) and told me that all the messages
Daniel> moved successfully. However, its count of "unread messages" in
Daniel> the first folder won't update (it's still in the thousands,
Daniel> with only 21 messages in the folder).

Again, please share the details.

Daniel> Worse, the IMAP mail server itself shows that only about HALF
Daniel> the messages moved -- a random subset with no rhyme or reason.

What server?  I use dovecot for my personal mail server, I get 3-4,000
emails a day and it's not evening noticing the load.

Daniel> Client "A" still tells me NONE of the messages moved, and no amount of
Daniel> syncing the folders changes that.

Daniel> It's crazy that a mature technology like email can have such poor
Daniel> software. Client A is Thunderbird, and client B is MS Outlook.

I wish you had said this up top.  *grin*  Now I look stupid.

In any case, while I think VM would probably be ok for this too, I
would say that mutt would work even faster.

But I'm using Emacs 26.1 with 8.2.0b of VM.  It would be nice to get a
new release, if only with the latest patches.

Daniel> VM JUST WORKS. It maintains my 3600 email folders, storing
Daniel> over 670000 messages, with ease, for decades. Thank you, thank
Daniel> you, thank you.

Yes, a big big thank you to all the people who have supported it over
the years.