vile

Re: Build errors at link time - what am I missing?

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: Build errors at link time - what am I missing?
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2022 13:53:45 +0000

On Thu, Dec 01, 2022 at 10:29:57AM +1100, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 at 07:26, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > > However, later on in configure I get:-
> > >     configure: WARNING: Cannot find -ltermlib, -lcurses, or -ltermcap
> > > and then at link time there are loads of undefined references to
> > > tputs, tgoto, and a lot of other txxxxx symbols.
> > >
> > > So presumably I need to build one of those libraries, or is there
> > > something simpler I can do?
>
> If you don't have permission to install packages, then you will need
> to build some of the dependencies in your home directory.
>
> > The system does have libncurses, it's in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. Is
> > it possible that directory isn't on the cc/linker search path?  How do
> > I add it?
>
> Debian splits libraries into runtime and development components: the
> runtime package contains just the versioned shared library such as
> libncurses.so.6, and the development package contains the symlink to
> the appropriate version of the shared library (e.g. libncurses.so ->
> libncurses.so.6), and the header files.
>
> So even if libncurses.so.6 is installed, that is not enough to build
> with.  If you're building in your home directory, you can probably
> just get:
>
>   https://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.html
>
> and build that with --prefix=$HOME.

It needs --with-ncurses as well of course (well it did for me anyway).
All built OK though and now I have a working vile.

>                                        I think that this will provide an
> appropriate flex:
>
>   https://invisible-island.net/reflex/reflex.html

This didn't work for me because there isn't a yacc available, I'm not
going to bother as (as I said) I don't think I need the lex filters.

> The only other things that I build the Debian package with are Perl
> and Xaw, which you can skip if you don't fancy building Perl, and
> don't care about X.

Correct, it's just a command line so no use for X and I don't need the
perl extras.

Thanks all.

--
Chris Green