Re: Copyright considerations

From: Frederico S. Muñoz
Subject: Re: Copyright considerations
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:04:48 +0000

Neal H Walfield wrote:

> > Ok, assuming that any of you remotly found my snapshot interesting I
> > will continue to assist on web building for FSF-related pages whenever
> > there is need to, and I want to give the copyright of any of my work in
> > any page I make (for GNU) to the FSF.
>
> The page looks very nice, however, I have several questions about the
> content:

Thanks :)

>  o  Why is this going on sourceforge and not on hurd.gnu.org?

Ummm... good question, but one that is beyond me; Brent Fulgham was the
one that said he needed some help with the sf.net page; as I see it this
page is at the moment very similar to the hurd.gnu.org one, but I guess
that the plans are to change it to something different (I know that
Eduardo has some contents to add). Maybe the hurd.gnu.org page will be
more 'official' and this one very changable and with many different
topics (like status of ports, etc.)? I really am not sure, but the more
pages there are the better anyway, as long as each one plays a role.

>  o  At least four of the links in the menu bars are broken (About the
>     Hurd, About Microkernels, Getting Help and Acknowledgements).
>     Download appears to also be broken (shouldn't this link to the
>     installation guides?).  Mailing lists points to a non-existent URL.

Ahh yes, most things are quite broken indeed... that's because I only
made the 'main' page, and I left all the links as they were; many of
them point to the current sf.net page, many others were broken while
copying them.
As soon as I get enough feedback on the proposal, and if I get a go on
it, I will migrate all the contents there to the new format, and relink
the links, as it were. I will fix most of them tonight though, just to
make it more browsable.

>  o  Why does bugs point to sourceforge and not debian?

Good question. I don't know. I'm not responsible for any of the links in
there that function like the old one (that is to say I'm responsible
only for broken links).

>  o  What is the survey?  Hurd Wiki?

The survey is some kind of a tool the Sourceforge makes available to
projects; the Wiki is a sort of world-writable HOWTO/FAQ on wich ppl can
add solutions, comments, etc (or so I think)

>  o  Why don't you try integrating Jim Franlin's list of URL?

Sure, I can integrate just about anything ppl think is usefull. I just
need to hear from Fulgham and Marcus beforehand, they are the
hurd.sf.net project leaders.

>  o  Personally, I would have the menu bar be the following:
>
>     Introduction    - What is the Hurd, what is Mach, history, etc
>     Installation    - Installation guides etc
>     Mailing Lists   - Pointers to the five mailing lists, how to subscribe,
>                       the point of each and their respective archives.
>     Bugs            - Pointer to the Debian BTS and a bit of information on
>                       how to use it (i.e. look for [hurd] tags).
>     Todo            - The todo lists.  They are in CVS and on debian.  Plus
>                       talk about porting new programs (e.g. what to look for,
>                       etc).
>     Further Reading - Pointers to the Hurd manual, CMU manuals, articles
>                       etc.
>     Old News        - Any news that is not on the main page.  The body of
>                       the index should contain the ~three latest points
>                       of information.

Yes, I like this. This would make the navbar worth having. Now we only
need contents for the links :)

> Just my $2.00 :)

Thanks for the feedback!

I will stress again: if any of you are seing the page with strange
borders, a b&w emacs logo, etc, this is due to the fact that I previeed
the thing in mozilla/skipstone/galeon. Netscape makes a mess out of the
borders and the tables, and IE makes the borders too thick; I will
adress all of this tonight.

Best regards,

fsm

--