Re: Minor things

From: Moritz Schulte
Subject: Re: Minor things
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 23:44:45 +0100

Marcus Brinkmann <address@hidden> writes:

> The operating system is called GNU. [...]

Yes, I know that.  But I guess that it's more confusing for people who
want to find out what the Hurd is if they read one that page that the
Hurd is a "kernel" and on another page that "the Hurd" means "the
servers running on a kernel"...

> Maybe core is a better word?  Everything I can think of is
> overloaded in some way.

The Hurd, an operating system core.  You know, I'm not a native
speaker, but that seems better to me than "kernel".  But I also don't
want to be a nitpicker..

> The only problem is that a microkernel is missing that supports SMP.
> Do you think that we should flip-flop the wording, depending on what
> microkernels are available at the time?

Yes, the sentences as it is there is simply wrong, IMHO.  The topic is
"advantages of the Hurd" and one point is "the Hurd _runs_ effeciently
on SMP".  Either the topic should be "goals of the Hurd" or the point
it should be "_could_ run".

> BTW, diff works also very well for text ;)

Yes, next time.

                moritz
--
address@hidden - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199