Re: Web-page policy.

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Web-page policy.
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:25:11 +0100

* Marcus Brinkmann writes:
[snip]
> I would prefer it if Wolfgang would provide patches for hurd.texi
> with the information that is in his guide but not in there yet.  I
> know that this is more work than just to link to the site, but it is
> the right thing to do.  (Just like we don't add new features to the
> code before scrutinizing them).

OK, that makes sense.

> However, having an introduction for programmers who just want to see
> how this translator stuff works in real life, and who are shy to
> read the full manual, might be a good idea anyway.  So, maybe
> renaming "Architectural overviews" in docs.html to "Introduction to
> the Hurd" or something like that, and adding the Hacker Guide (under
> a more fitting name) would be a good strategy.  But then I would
> like it to be in the standard layout on the gnu site, and Wolfgang
> can maintain it there.

That is up to Wolfgang really, if he wants to change the name, change the
layout of the document, etc.  Maybe it could be added to the Hurd manual
under a fitting chapter, "Translator examples" or something.
While we are on the topic of the Hurd manual, can't we split it up a bit?
Like putting all trivfs stuff in trivfs.texi and put a "include trivfs.texi"
string in hurd.texi?

I suppose that we could start by renaming the "Architectural overviews" in
docs.hml to what you suggested, and add a link to the guide. Wolfgang
can post any updates that he does to web-hurd so that we can notify users
in the "What's new" section. This would probably be good as a start.

--
Alfred M. Szmidt