Re: lame questions :/

From: Tom Hart
Subject: Re: lame questions :/
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:29:34 -0600

Chris:

General questions are usually sent to address@hidden =)

Chris wrote:
"Currently, the Hurd runs on IA32 machines."
never heard of this, does it mean 32bit intel?

Yes.

still not sure after reading the web page, is hurd
a linux type kernel replacement?

It's a mutli-server, so it + a microkernel (Mach) replace a monolithic Linux kernel.

would precompiled elf's work on hurd, are the linux
libraries in anyway binary compatable?

The Hurd is intended to be source-compatible with POSIX-compliant kernels like Linux, but not binary-compatible.

I think that the site is fine from the point of view of
someone who already has a grasp of what hurd is...
some screen shots would be nice...

Here it is running X and BlackBox.

http://hurd.dyndns.org/gowlin/liedtke-gnu-20020426.png

is the install as user unfriendly as debian? or worse
still like slackwares?

A little rockier than Debian GNU/Linux

if i'm used to programming gtk and c++ in linux, how
long would it take me to convert my skills to produce
applications in hurd?

Avoid use of MAXPATHLEN. Really, when programming you rarely target a kernel, but an interface (C, POSIX, GTK, etc.)

  /  Tom Hart                                      |
 |   address@hidden                          |
  \  "rmTFM - Build consistent interfaces."        |