Re: Structured streams

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Structured streams
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 12:04:59 +0200 (CEST)

   As you are rebuilding things, I have a particular vision about how
   things should be in an operating system that I wish to share.

I don't know what we are rebuilding, and this doesn't belong here.
web-hurd is meant for discussing things about the Hurd web pages.

As for your ideas, you lost me.  Casue you can pipe any kind of data;
to any program.  So say you want to list columns from ls:

,----
| ls -l | gawk '{ print $4 }'
`----

will list the fourth column.  Your second example about sending data
to the sound card, write a program that does that.

   This simplifies the development and everyone could open the file
   and analyze it (no proprietary file formats!).

And you cannot open a file right now and analyze it?  And yet, you
still have propietary formats.  Your scheme won't stop them...

Cheers.