Re: about GNU Hurd

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:38:07 +0530

> On 8/31/07, Xavier Maillard <address@hidden> wrote:

>    Marcus has not abandoned the Hurd.  He is working on a new
>    microkernel, which he thinks we need.  I hope that this will turn out
>    well, but one cannot tell in advance.

> Out of curiosity, what is this new microkernel name ?

Xavier, it is Coyotos, http://www.coyotos.org/, being created by
Jonathan S. Shapiro who already delivered two successful projects
(microkernels), one of them was EROS, http://www.eros-os.org/ . One of
his articles about Coyotos is excellent piece of information for OS
programmers: http://www.coyotos.org/docs/osverify-2004/osverify-2004.html

Even he is creating a new language, BitC, the dual combination of Lisp
and C. He said he will bend his language according to the design of
his micorkernel rather than doing it other way around. BitC is being
specially designed for Coyotos: http://www.bitc-lang.org/index.html

this is some BitC code. I Love it :)

(define (make-counter)
  (let ((n 0))
    (lambda ()
      (set! n (+ n 1))

Actually, I am fan of Common Lisp, may be that's why, I liked this
code, Lots of Parenthesis :)

(I guess, most corporate people change their OS specification
according to the limitations of the language. Ti give an example, take
NOKIA 6630, which has lots of limitations on its functions and way of
working, which they tried to overcome in their other handsets)

--
http://arnuld.vox.com/