Re: ikiwiki fuckup...

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: ikiwiki fuckup...
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:04:51 +0200

Hello!

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 08:54:40AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 04:37:39PM +0200, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> > Olaf has noticed some oddities w.r.t. synchronicity between the
> > flubber repository of the wiki and the web-interface's working copy.
> > I can only suspect what was going on and then I would suspect that one
> > of the machines crashed while internal synchronization between the two
> > repositories was going on.
>
> To be honest, I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't some fault on my
> side...

I think it wasn't.  :-)

> The tricky part is that these changes were originally pushed to the
> github backup

Someone please tell me and the others how to get access to that one?  I
can't seem to find an email or wiki page telling about this.

> because of the constant downtimes on flubber... When
> flubber was up again, I pulled from it, merging the commits (the one
> commit to be exact) that happened on in the meantime, and pushed.
>
> I was convinced that this would work fine, but maybe I'm missing
> something?...

No, that sounds about right.

This is what happened, I think.  flubber was down.  Someone did a commit
for `community/scolobb.mdwn' in the web-interface.  This change was
recorded in the web-interfaces's working copy, but obviously not pushed
to the flubber master copy, it being unreachable.  In parallel, someone
did push a commit for `community/scolobb.mdwn' to the flubber master
copy, when it was available again.  When doing that, this change was
automatically tried to be pushed to the web-interface's working copy,
creating a conflict in there.  Apparently ikiwiki was not able to resort
to some sane state (how would it, nevertheless).

To sum up, I have now simply committed the conflict markers in
`community/scolobb.mdwn', as I was not trivially able to resolve the text
to what it was meant to read.  Sergiu can hopefully sort this out easily.

Everything is in synch again.

I hope to (and really should) find some time during the next days to go
through all the other emails, please bear with me.

Regards,
 Thomas