[Wesnoth-dev] New mage/fireball images/halos, drake consequences

From: Richard Kettering
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] New mage/fireball images/halos, drake consequences
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 06:41:02 -0600

I just committed a huge chunk of unit/image goodness into the cvs repository. All the images for our mages and their fireballs have been completely replaced.
(Literally - I think the only exception is the illumination aura. )

Given the magnitude of this, I may have made a mistake or two I am not aware of. If anyone sees any missing animations or graphical glitches before the next release, please inform me, and I'll try and remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

However, such a big change did step on one dependency - with this, all of the drakes have had their use of mage halos broken. Given that, if they were to use the new ones properly, they would need to have their unit files modified *anyways*, there really wasn't any other way to go about this. Thus, they, and potentially the Elvish Lord will need to have their unit files amended to use the new projectiles and halos.

If anyone (like shade, for example) would be willing to do this for me, this would free up a good deal of time for me to keep making new images. In doing so, I would just look at the new mage cfg files to see how to use the images.

That said, I would also like to strongly propose switching the Elvish Lord to using a similar type of magic as the Elvish Sorceress/Sylph, rather than a fireball. I personally think that would help to make for coherent racial magic "identities", and would not really affect gameplay, given the availability of fire-magic on most factions that use the unit (ex: Konrad's troops). Of course, to make this happen, I will be more than happy to do the few images necessary.

Cheers.
- Richard