[Wesnoth-dev] Administering the server

From: David White
Subject: [Wesnoth-dev] Administering the server
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:19:06 -0600

I think that we need a convenient interface for administering wesnothd, and possibly campaignd.

The current interface is to send commands using a fifo that is on the system wesnothd is on, and wesnothd responds on stdout, but I think we need a better system than this.

One idea I have is to allow specification of a port which wesnothd opens and listens for administration commands on. Commands would be issued in some simple plain text protocol and wesnothd would respond in simple plain text -- so telnet would be a capable client. Authentication may or may not be required, but whether it is or not the main security mechanism would be through a firewall restricting access to the port to hosts that should have access.

Any thoughts on this? I think if we have a nice simple interface like this, we could then even build e.g. a web interface that'd allow administration.

David