Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Multiplayer Balancing

From: Crazy Ivanovic
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Multiplayer Balancing
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:58:48 +0100 (MET)

> I think that we should act to leverage the experience of these players
> -- who each probably play far more competitive multiplayer than any
> developers -- and involve them in the development process.

I think it would be good to involve them deper into balancing mp. I think it
is easziest to balance Wesnoth with playing mp-mode. In campaigns you only
play against ai, that is fairly stupid. So it should be tested against
humans :)

> One possible way we could do this is open a sub-forum on multiplayer
> discussions. Another way is to invite the players who we think have
> valuable feedback to this mailing list. Yet another way would be to open
> a new mailing list specifically for discussion of multiplayer balancing
> and invite them to that (since they might not be interested in technical
> discussions).

I'd say there should be some things:
1) an extra "balancing-forum": there could be extra threads per fraction so
that it becomes comparable which fractions are overpowered and which are too
weak. I think it would be good to have a comparison between the fractions.
It seems to me that undead (especially ghosts) are hard to kill with every
fraction beside drakes. I would really welcome it, if all fractions would be
balanced against each other.
2) i think an extra ml only for balancing would be nice. There could be some
more mp-players be involved.
3) i think it is verz important to provide a cvs-snapshot or a good howto so
that more mp-players will play cvs. We can only decide if the changes are
good or not, if it is excessivly tested. I think it would be great to have
something like a daily windows-snapshot. Linux users should be able to
compile the cvs version theiselfs but it is not this easy for windows only
users. And for the mac users out there there should either be a good howto
with xcode (sanna please help us :) ) or a compiled version like for
windows. We could split up the files. One tarball for all the datafiles and
one for the binary. I don't think we need to provide the editor and so on.
It would then be enough to update the "datatarball" everytime when we have
changes at the units. And there should be another tarball that you only have
to get once for the images and sounds. For balancing there is no need to
update that tarball very often :)

Sorry that this mail became this long...
CU
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic

--
DSL Komplett von GMX +++ Supergünstig und stressfrei einsteigen!
AKTION "Kein Einrichtungspreis" nutzen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl