Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Advanced preferences and plaintext savefiles

From: Guillaume Melquiond
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Advanced preferences and plaintext savefiles
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:02:58 +0200

On 5/27/05, Asa Swain <address@hidden> wrote:

> Au contraire, I think adding the non-binary saves option to the preferences
> window is a VETY important feature and should not be removed. We have always
> had plaintext saves until recently, and I don't remember "cheating" being an
> problem. Besides it isn't our job to keep people from editing their
> savefiles or cheating in a single player game. It's like the issue of
> save/loading, we should let people play the game however they want.
>
> Secondly for non-linux users using the command line isn't as easy as you may
> think. I think there are a lot of mac and windows developers who might be
> confused by having to use command line commands to edit savefiles. Having an
> advanced preferences window is so much easier to use.
>
> Being able to read your savefiles makes life a lot easier for campaign
> developers, becuase you can check variables and unit stats mid-scenario. I'm
> really looking forward to this new feature, and think it would be a shame if
> it was removed.

You are forgetting that binary saves have *always* been a preference
option. This is not something new, it was already available before.
And it isn't related at all to the command-line, you don't need a
command line to change the option.

The command-line is needed to decompress binary savefile. And even
though the option is now displayed in the preferences dialog box, this
need has not disappeared, you still have to use the command-line to
decompress savefiles.

So the only thing new is the way the option is now displayed in the
preferences dialog box. And as much customizable the "advanced" part
of the dialog box is, I still find it quite ugly. So I wouldn't mind
if it was not visible in standard game mode.