Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Improving startup time

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Improving startup time
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 22:39:49 +0200

I made a new version of the patch, no change to code (still using the
CAMPAIGN define), only moved more stuff out of the initial loading.
The only thing I could not move as-is is utils.cfg, whose macros are
used in too many places.

I'll commit this one, and if we want to switch which define we want to
use it shall be a different issue.

For the record, here are the cache sizes on my box
(game.cfg-cache-v0.9.2*-MEDIUM-NORMAL)

0.9.2                           391456
cvs + units moved               136774
cvs + everything moved           49583

Wow.  Nearly tenfold :)

Now the obvious corollary: 340KB spared in this cache are most
probably 340KB of exactly identical data, modulo the defines, for each
campaign, plus 2 for MP and tutorial.  So someone just testing the
game and having a look at everything they can will instantly get a
couple of MB of cache, of which 0.340*(7-1) = 2MB of useless stuff,
not counting "normal level is too hard, let's start again in easy
mode".  For each user doing that on the machine.  We'll be hated for
this :)

Even in a world of inexpensive disks, this is something we should
address, even if it has to be done post-1.0.

Now I'll have a look at the files uselessly read in the campaigns :)

Best regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |
Debian-related: <address@hidden> |   Support Debian GNU/Linux: