wget-dev

Re: wget2 | Behaviour difference between wget1 and wget2 for (certain?)

From: @rockdaboot
Subject: Re: wget2 | Behaviour difference between wget1 and wget2 for (certain?) web.archive.org URLs (#646)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2023 18:22:59 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented:
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/646#note_1584888546

The work-around is to add `--header "Accept: */*"` to the wget2 command line.

The site interprets the `Accept:` header, which is different for wget2
(`Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8`).

Wget basically tells the web server "give me anything, I don't care".
Wget2 says "I prefer html, xhtml or xml if available, else I don't care".

To me it looks like a server misconfiguration if you request a `.exe` file and
instead get an HTML file.
Asking the maintainers of `web.archive.org` might bring some light into the
riddle.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/646#note_1584888546