womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag

From: Annette Vee
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 14:48:48 -0500

OK, I'm *definitely* jumping into the middle of something, since I'm very much
an interloper here: I'm a F/OSS user and fan, and a researcher and admirer of
F/OSS women (long time lurker, first time poster, etc.). I'm just dipping my
toe into the contribution role, as (like many women!) I've come to computers
later in life. I teach writing, but would love to help you all out in the very
limited way I can!

As a sometime logo designer with friends who do this thing for a living, I've
come to realize (the hard way) that designing a memorable, easy-to-reproduce
logo is a lot harder than it looks. You want it to evoke women and free
software, but not be too feminine or cheesy, and to suggest communality but
individual identity as well. Right? Or that's what I've picked up on so far.

A modest suggestion...this might be a place for the group to capitalize on the
design expertise of women who support your efforts in free software, but who
don't have the technical chops you do. What about running a kind of logo design
contest? You wouldn't have to limit entries to women, but I bet that some women
would be interested. Sharing the logos and ideas people have already come up
with could help designers make something you'd be happy with.

A well-publicized contest might help raise visibility for the group as well. It
seems you have some contacts and supporters in the IT/online media that could
help get the word out.

Thanks for your inspiration to us less-techy ladies, and please forgive me if
I'm ignorantly violating protocol here!
-Annette