womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag

From: Jack Aponte
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Logo idea: GNU in Drag
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:14:58 -0400

On 9/14/31 2:59 PM Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 24 September 2009 12:59:31 pm Jack Aponte wrote:
>> On 9/24/09 3:55 PM Carla Schroder wrote:
>>> What about a logo that is not a single image, but a collage? After all,
>>> women come in sizes, shapes, age, hair, and skin color. Which makes it
>>> even more difficult for 'easy-to-reproduce', but it solves a number of
>>> other problems.
>> Alternatively, you could go for a logotype or wordmark logo - no
>> representations of any humans (thus avoiding problems of representation
>> with regards to gender identity, race, size, etc). It might also make
>> the whole logo selection process a lot simpler!
>>
>> - Jack
>
> It would. But we're women.

Don't let the name fool you; so am I by most people's determination, if
not by unconflicted self-identification.

I was just speaking to my experience about political trickiness when it
comes to representations of people in logos; it can be really difficult
to visually represent a group of people as wide and disparate as "women"
without reinforcing stereotypes, making assumptions, or marginalizing
already marginalized people who one way or another fall within that group.

Just my two cents; I also agree that a contest could be a great way to
get a good logo.

- Jack

--
Jack Aponte