womeninfreesoftware

Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Hello, and a Question

From: Stormy Peters
Subject: Re: [Womeninfreesoftware] Hello, and a Question
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:12:30 -0600

I think we want to do what will have the most impact. And to me impact is preventing future behavior which discourages women to participate in free software. And not just the speaker's behavior, but other speakers' behavior.

Privately approaching the speaker and asking them to apologize would probably be the best all around *if* they publicly apologize. (And we should quickly speak postively about their apology and their support.)

If they don't apologize publicly, I think we need to react quickly and publicly.

While I think Kirrily's public letter to Mark Shuttleworth got a lot of attention and will probably keep people from making the same mistake in the future, I think it did nothing to make Mark an ally of our efforts. (Getting so much negative publicity for a mistake he made is unlikely to make him want to work with us.)

Stormy