wp-mirror-list

Re: [Wp-mirror-list] Ubuntu

From: Jason Skomorowski
Subject: Re: [Wp-mirror-list] Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 22:41:27 -0500

Hi Kent,

Gave wp-mirror a try on Ubuntu 12.10. Barring one dependency issue
everything worked seamlessly and I didn't need to tweak any configuration to
get a local mirror of the simple wiki. And I could interrupt it, restart it,
run a bunch at once. Nice software!

The dependency problem was with Inkscape (which I imagine is here for some
SVG manipulation) having a too-specific version number:

 wp-mirror depends on inkscape (>= 0.48.3.1-1.1); however:
  Version of inkscape on system is 0.48.3.1-1ubuntu6.

Using dpkg --ignore-depends=wp-mirror let me install the package but I then
needed to edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and modify the required Inkscape version
to 0.48.3.1 as apt-get conservatively refused to operate on a system in such
an inconsistent state as having any installed package with unresolved
dependencies. Most of the advice I saw on the web to address such things
involved creating dummy packages, surprising that there is no way to
override a specific dep permanently or have apt ignore pre-existing
dependency issues.

Beyond that the only other snag I've run into thus far are several dozen red
links on every page to non-existent versions of the same article in other
languages but presumably that is configurable in MediaWiki.

Thanks much,
Jason